Friday, February 20, 2009

British Sherman IC Firefly - Part 1

With the Tiger kit on hold until I can decide if I'm going to use a brush or spray to paint it I decided to start work on the Firefly. What can I say, not only do I have the ability to not finish projects but I can do more than one of them at a time.

First the good news. The model kit comes with a die cast base which in itself is a mixture of good and bad. It's great in that add adds a little heft to the model but the only superglue I had laying around was a gnarled up tube of Bostic Multi Bond which has been in my paintbox for years. Surprisingly it hadn't dried up and with a little coercion it went where I wanted it to. I think I'll get some more tomorrow for the wheel assemblies though as they have smaller surfaces and big blotches of glue will stand out.

(Remember to click on the images for bigger versions)


Interestingly enough the kit has all of the wheel assemblies glued to the die cast section but once completed it itself is screwed to the upper hull.


Ok, now the bad news. While I was trimming the other side of the muzzle (?) off the sprue it shot off to the other side of the room. I looked and looked for the dang piece but heck knows where it went. Not sure exactly what I'll do about it yet. I don't want to order a complete 'G' sprue just to get that piece. Maybe I'll make it out of greenstuff by the way of a press mold. Maybe, dunno. I'll have another think about it when I've calmed down a bit.


As for the kit itself I was a little surprised that a lot of the panels were smooth with only a few weld lines here and there. The kit cost the same as the AFV one but the Tiger has way more detail to it than the Tamiya one. I don't think it's going to show in the finished model and I'm only painting these for gaming purposes not display.

No comments:

Post a Comment