Sunday, June 7, 2009

Almost Ready for Painting

An afternoon of gluing and basing and I was almost ready to start painting. I was double checking the army list with the mini requirements when I noticed that the Imperial Biker Company needed a CHQ stand and a Commissar stand. The problem is that we don't have any of those minis, nor am I even sure that they actually exist. Well ok I'm sure Forgeworld would have something but at those prices I don't think we'll be placing an order any time soon.

I tried a few variants of CHQ and Commissars standing next to a bike or between two bikes but nothing really looked right.

So I decided to start cutting up minis and see what I could come up with. The CHQ stand was simply a case of cutting off the bikers right arm and sticking on the chainsword arm from the CHQ infantry mini. Then I glued the standard to the rear of the bike, simple and effective. I also glued the bikes onto the stand in a staggered pattern to help differentiate them from the other bike stands.
The Commissar was a little more work. I cut away the original bikers head and shoulders but left the chest and arms in place. I was a slow and careful process of cutting the Commissars upper body to fit the body of the biker. I really wanted to have his jacket billowing out behind him on the bike but I think it would have been a lot of work for such a small mini. So just to give him that something extra I decided to cut the base away and have the bike rearing up almost like it's leaping off the base. I'm pretty happy with the results.


No comments:

Post a Comment