I should have seen this coming but the Tamiya paint, well moreso the Tamiya Thinners, reacted strangley to the craft paint I initially sprayed on the hedges. Not in a bad way mind you, but weird none the less. Almost a day after I splrayed the Tamiya paint on the hedges the paint still hadn't dried. What I had was a tacky, almost rubbery goo on the surface. After three days now it has dried and hardened up but for a while there I was worried that the hedges were ruined. So the moral of my tale here is don't mix your paint manufacturers, or better still: test and test again.
So back to the hedges.... I've managed to mostly flock two pieces of the hedges using different methods.
The hedge below is using Model Scenics Foliage and comes out like a fluffy gauze. I cut out strips and glued them on with MDF glue (it's slow to dry but the fumes won't stink out the house and I have heaps of it). It's the easier of the two to put together and I think it will survive being handled fairly well. The few places where the foam shows through is pretty clear in the photo ut you really don't notice it on the table. The only thing I don't like about this one is that the colours are pretty one dimensional. Also I think I'll get maybe 4-5 of these done from a $14 pack, these could get costly.
The hedge below was made up using a combination of Model Scenics Bushes and some offcuts of the Model Scenics Foliage. The hedge looks fuller in both depth and colour variation but I'm worried it could suffer from too much handling. The coverage needs to be fuller using this method as the flat areas of the foam show up against the undulations of the flock. Once this is done I might even give it a light spray with some spray adhesive to help hold it together. The process of flocking sothing usig this method is quite slow as you can only do small areas at a time and only one side of the hedge until the other side dries. I could use the scenics glue as it dries faster, I'll have to investigate this I think. Again I think I'll get maybe 4-5 of these out of a $14 pack so I need to get down to the game shop and see if they sell bigger/cheaper bags.
I think I'll continue flocking using both methods. Mainly because I want to use the stuff I already have and secondly I don't want to have all my hedges looking the same.
So far I'm pretty happy with the results of both methods. The cost is starting to convern me a little but hedges are a common terrain element in just about any wargame so it might be a worthwhile investment.