I’m making one last push to get the Black Tree Design 28mm Germans finished this weekend. So far it looks like I’ll get the full platoon done by Sunday, this post however isn’t about the Germans but more about the bases they’re um based on.
I wanted to put some tufts of long grass on a few of the bases to help break up the flat look the green flock I’m using causes. I was looking on eBay when I thought I probably should do them myself. I tried this method a few years ago and it turned out crap. Back then I blamed the technique for the bad results, unfortunately the current results prove that it was my implementation that needed improving.
I had an old brush laying around that was gunked up with glue and had the right looking bristles for what I wanted.
Cut a small length of around an inch or so.
Fold it in half, this takes practice and the first few lots of bristles shot our of my hand and across the table.
Twist the end nice and tight, dab a small ball of super glue on the end and wait 4-5 seconds.
Then simply put it on the base of the miniature. I’m just using the cheap superglue you get in packs at $2 and I find I can stick the tuft on the base and in about 10 seconds I can use a toothpick to move the bristles around and they stay where I want them.
Tomorrow once they’re completely dry I’ll use some small scissors or nail clippers to cut them to the lengths I’m after.
One nice effect you can see in the photos at the top of the post is that the superglue makes the base of the bristles go white when it oxidises. I’ll subdue that somewhat later with a green/yellow ink wash. For some bases I’ll try putting little dabs of paint on the ends of the bristles to make them look like they’re flowering.
More photos of the Germans themselves once they’re done.